Search This Blog

Friday, September 22, 2023

SUPERMAN VS MESHI (2023)

 

During today's dialysis session I read the first volume of SUPERMAN VS MESHI, the imported manga series in which Superman reveals he's addicted to Japanese cuisine, hence the "meshi" of the title. (It loosely translates as "something that is eaten," or "grub.") You see, when lunchtime rolls around, Supes frequently flies to Japan at super speed and satisfies his craving for his favorite food while commenting on the meals like a smitten food critic. His sense of wonder and enjoyment during all of this takes me right back to my formative years and my early experiences with the sumptuous flavors and textures of Japanese food, and by the time I finished reading the first volume I wanted to devour a big plate of seafood tempura and rice.
 

The tone of the script eases the reader into assorted Japanese dishes and what makes them so delicious, and the simplistic artwork gives the piece the look and feel of a child's primer on the joys of Japan's cornucopia of quality eats. In short, it's a fun guide for newcomers to the cuisine and foodies alike, with guest spots by Justice League members. It's silly but it knows what it's on about, so I will be back for more. Offbeat but RECOMMENDED. (And it's relatively cheap.)

No comments: