Search This Blog

Monday, October 27, 2014

31 DAYS OF HORROR 2014-Day 27: TRIANGLE (2009)

They would have been better off if left to the mercy of a legion of ravenous sharks. No, seriously.

Harried single mom Jess (Melissa George) experiences odd lapses of focus and memory while caring for her autistic son, but she nonetheless makes takes up the invitation of her friend Greg (Michael Dorman) for a day out sailing on his yacht, the Triangle. When Jess arrives without her son, whom she was supposed to bring along, she states that he had school, which is not as odd as it seems because his special-needs school is open every day. Still exhibiting signs of strange behavior, Jess, naps for a few hours in one of the yacht's cabins and has a vivid dream in which she's apparently washed up on a beach.However, there is no time to ponder her strange vision as a frantic distress call from anther vessel is received, only to be interrupted by interference from a bizarre localized storm of epic proportions that capsizes the Triangle. One of the six-person party is apparently lost at sea, but the survivors soon note the approach of the Aeolus, a cruise ship that they board despite its arrival setting off feelings of deep dread in Jess. Once aboard, they discover the huge liner to be deserted, and Jess experiences strong feelings of déjà vu...

Melissa George as Jess.

It is at that precise point, around a half-hour into the film, that things get majorly weird and dire, and I cannot in good conscience discuss the plot any further without possibly giving away a truly interesting, intense, and (mostly) original exercise in terror that does a serious number on the audience's head. I can't even run most of the pictures that I found from the film for those same reasons, so I'll leave this as a painfully short review, despite how very much I would love to discuss my opinions on its every aspect. All I'll say is that TRIANGLE bears similarities to a handful of other films and television series that I could name — but won't — but it takes those possible influences and paints them very, very dark, with a central mystery that becomes more perplexing, horrible, and inevitably shattering with each passing minute.

I know this short review may seem like a cheat, but trust me when I assure you that you'll thank me for my restraint when you see it for yourself. TRIANGLE, a UK/Australian production, is absolutely not merely a popcorn-munching way to pass ninety-eight minutes, and it is also not in any way a feel-good flick, so approach it with the knowledge that something quite special and a departure from today's soulless, cookie-cutter, so-called horror cinema awaits you.

(Special thanks for alerting me to this movie goes to Russ Braun, an uber-talented cartoonist and dear friend with whom I have often discussed our shared filmic interests at length. He loaned me his DVD of TRIANGLE nearly a year ago and for a number of reasons I never got around to it until now, but as a result of his strong recommendation of this film, I will take his suggestions very seriously from now on.)


Poster from the original theatrical release. Why the hell this was never released theatrically in the U.S. is something I cannot comprehend. It would have been a hit.

No comments: