Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

IT'S A SOPRANOS CHRISTMAS!


So this Christmas I got my mom a new DVD player and as I write this she's totally immersed in the final season of THE SOPRANOS, a show she absolutely loves despite her old ladyish abhorrence of sex, violence, and non-stop profanity in her entertainment. She's fascinated by her own sympathy for Tony Soprano, a guy whose volatile criminality is underscored by his own deep-rooted flaws and insecurities, and she spends much of her viewing time analyzing how Tony is "a victim of his upbringing and environment" (she's a family therapist). So she's happy as a clam, appreciative of her other gifts, but elated that she can at last see the finale of her favorite soap (or olive oil) opera. So thank you, David Chase, James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Lorraine Bracco, the much-missed Drea De Matteo, and all the rest of you who made THE SOPRANOS happen. You lot saved Christmas in my dysfunctional place of growing up.

As for me, I got a bunch of cool stuff but any time spent at home that doesn't involve tension, sniping, and emotional vitriol is more precious to me than any material gift could possibly be (okay, so I wouldn't scoff at some serious cash). I still have another eight hours before I step onto the south-bound Metro North train and make my way back to the security of the Vault, but I honestly think that time will pass without any of the usual bullshit. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you watched either Rome or Deadwood? If so, what did you think of them? If not - dude, you really should!