Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

WHEN DREAMS COME TRUE: THE VOYAGER MODEL KIT IS REISSUED! OH, JOY!!!

Ever since I was little one of my favorite cartoons was the 1968 Filmation version of FANTASTIC VOYAGE , a spinoff from the classic live action feature from a few years earlier (I've been dragging my ass on writing about it, but I'm shooting to have a piece up soon), and during my formative years I built practically all of the excellent sci-fi model kits released by Aurora, save for the 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY Moon Bus and The Voyager from the FANTASTIC VOYAGE show (not that Captain Janeway bullshit that looks like a upside down flying ice cream spoon). I'm certain my parents would have indulged my lust for sci-fi hardware and bought the kit for me, but it came and went from toy store shelves almost overnight, rendering it a highly-sought-after and very expensive collector's item; I once saw an unopened Voyager kit on eBay with a starting bid of $600, so you see what I mean. At that kind of price I resigned myself to never owning The Voyager, but today, by random chance of researching for an upcoming post on the cartoon series, I stumbled across mention of the kit being reissued for under $20 by a company called
Moebius Models .

At long last I am able to get my hands on a replica of the microscopic craft that carried my C.M.D.F. (Combined Miniature Defence Force; hey, it was the 1960's, so everything had a bitchin' acronym) heroes on their adventures and fired my wee imagination. The kit can be found here on Amazon, so next paycheck, mine!!!

1 comment:

Scott Faulkner said...

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard about this cartoon. I love the original film and would love a model of the 1st Proteus (I don't think this one looks that hot but again, I never watched the animated series). Somewhere on a shelf I've got an unbuilt kit of the flying sub from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I had the Aurora model when I was a kid and was ecstatic that I could replace it with the reissued kit a few years ago (original destroyed by little brothers).