Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

R.I.P. KEITH GIFFEN, QUIRKY COMICS MADMAN (1952-2023)

It is with great sadness that I note the passing of Keith Giffen, who would have turned 71 at the end of November. He'd been quietly ill for years, but he was finally undone by a stroke.

Co-creator of Rocket Racoon and Lobo, and creator of Ambush Bug, Keith wielded a unique illustrative style that made his run on LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES with writer Paul Levitz a legendary moment in '80's comics. He also helped redefine the Justice League of America during that period, granting the series a wacky sensibility, especially in its handling of Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. And I would be remiss in my duties if I did not point out that during the ill-advised New Universe period at Marvel, Keith regularly swiped panels from FIST OF THE NORTH STAR, which was unknown in the States at the time. I only recognized his cheeky thievery because I had discovered the untranslated manga a little over a year before his short time on the series JUSTICE. I called him out on it during the early days of our friendship, at which he just laughed and said "Yeah, I picked up a lot of random manga back then and swiped from 'em like a motherfucker. Hell, we all did!" I got it. Anything to meet deadlines.

We met during my years at Marvel and struck up a friendship based on shared dark senses of humor and cynicism. When I was having a had time with the bullshit politics of a certain portion of my comics career, Keith heard through the grapevine what I was going through, so he would periodically call to offer moral support and remind me not to let the petty and childish antics of so-called adults affect me. I admired his quirky artwork and he was there for me when I needed propping up, so I will always appreciate his presence in my life.

Rest well, ya maniac. You certainly earned it.

 

With Keith at the 2011 New York Comic Con.

No comments: