Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

ODYSSEY OVER: R.I.P. ARTHUR C. CLARKE, AUTHOR OF 2001 (1917-2008)

The author of the epochal 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY has left this plane of existence, probably to turn into a serene space-fetus or something. The influence of 2001 on the science fiction genre cannot be overestimated, and the movie is truly stunning, but take my advice and check out a work of Clarke's that I find superior in just about every other way, namely 1953's CHILDHOOD'S END.

Cover for the edition I first read back in the late 1970's.
For the skinny on Clarke's life and career, go to the New York Times obit .

2 comments:

John Bligh said...

Good night, Funnyman...

I've never read any of Clarke's books, but I would contend that 2001 the Movie was more about being a Kubrick film than an adaptation of Clarke's novel. That's pretty much the case with anything Kubrick's adapted - from Clockwork Orange to The Shining and so on... except for Spartacus, where he had to share his vision with Kirk Douglas.

Gary said...

Agree with you there, Bunche.
I read a lot of Clarke and "Childhood's End" was his best...he set the bar so high for others.