Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

WATER, WATER, EVERY WHERE, NOR ANY DROP TO DRINK

At this morning's dialysis weigh-in, I came in over my fluid weight again (not grossly so, but still...), so I looked into exactly how much fluid in kilos the limit of 32 ounces per day actually is in terms of visually understandable volume. 32 ounces per day is something like slightly less than two small glasses of water, barely enough to quench the average adult's thirst over the course of any given day. I can get away with a little more during the week, as 32 ounces is a general guideline and the actual amount for an individual can vary due to factors of height and weight, but whatever the case, 32 ounces is still an agonizingly small amount of fluid, especially for a person like me, who loves drinking water. 

From now on, other than special occasions, I will restrict myself to water, unsweetened tea, or homemade lemonade (heavily diluted). Unless there's nothing else to drink or I'm at the movies, that means goodbye to sodas and other soft drinks. I will miss them, but if my fluid consumption must be so stringently limited, I will just keep my libation choices basic and mostly essential. And yes, tragically, soups count. Who know dialysis would turn me into a Fremen (only with my eyes remaining brown)?

 

No comments: