Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2023

MY MOTHER TURNS 90

So my mother, the one and only Mildred Delores Bunche (nee Smith) , turned 90 on January 20th. I always know how old she is because she was born during the year when the original KING KONG was released. Anyway, my birthday present to her was a fancy order of flowers from a florist and my presence at her house for a night and a day. Here she is with the balloons that a neighbor friend gave her.

The plethora of birthday cards that she received, plus the schmancy flowers I sent.

Hanging out in the living room, which has incredibly comfortable seating.


Note the self-portrait that I did during my second year of art college. I fucking hate it but mom loves it. I can't stand how its used as the prime piece in a house that has two rooms that are pretty much shrines to me, decorated as they are with multiple framed photos of me.

At her fancy Chinese dinner at Westport's Little Kitchen. I introduced her to crystal shrimp dumplings. They were nowhere near as good as those found at a Chinatown dim sum place, so I told her that when it's warmer she will have to go to a Chinatown dim sum house for the real deal.

It was a shameless massacre of quality Chinese food.

The vist was very nice. Totally pleaqsant and fun, as opposed to our usual bouts of nastiness and fighting. I wish our relationship had always been so Hallmark perfect.

1 comment:

Stephen Knight said...

Aw, Bunche! Your mommy loves you soooooo much!