Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 03, 2023

SHIT OUTTA (SUN) LUCK

Sun Luck, my go-to Chinese takeout joint, just changed ownership and name (to something I did not bother to remember), and the new owners have changed the menu to an alarming degree. 

When I went in a half hour ago, the place, which is usually glutted with people making and picking up takeout orders, was shockingly empty. The aged placards illustrating the dishes that were once available, with their prices, were now gone and the walls were bare. They also appear to have restored dining in, but no one was seated and eating. I saw and greeted the usual counter guy, who looked miserable, and without looking at the new menu I attempted to order some ribs and an order of yung chow fried rice, but neither exist there anymore. I then looked over the new menu and found that all of my favorite items are gone and the menu is now more generic, seemingly designed to appeal more to the local white hipsters who don't frequent the place anyway. I was not impressed with its bare bones offerings, so I turned around and walked out.

I have gotten takeout from Sun Luck innumerable times during the 25 years I have lived here in Park Slope, and the white-a-tizing of it fare has cost them having me as a customer. (Not that they care.) Hopefully my reaction is a common one that will make the new owner rethink what they have done. 

Oh, and they also raised the prices to a ridiculous level. $12.75 for chicken fried rice? Go and fuck thyself with a hot wok.


No comments: