Search This Blog

Monday, September 05, 2022

TODAY'S CAR SERVICE AWFULNESS

I got out of dialysis an hour ago, but I got stuck downstairs in my car while the driver waited to pick up another patient. As time dragged on, even the driver got sick of waiting, so he called the dispatcher to ask what the hell was up with the other patient. The exchange was in Russian, but I gleaned from the driver's reaction at its conclusion that he had been told to stay and wait.  The driver, whose command of English rated about a 3 out of 10, was also not happy that the other passen    ger's name was "Shalom," which led him to rant about the Chosen to the best of his ability. As it approached forty minutes of waiting, the driver noted that "It is hawleeday" and that once the other passenger finally got his ass down to the car, he could drop us off and go home, which he amusingly said as “I get to go homo.” He then stopped talking and watched wrestling footage of Ronda Rousey on his phone (which was fine by me, let me assure you).

When  Shalom finally showed up, he proved to be one of those oldish Orthodox guys who look like the result of a transporter accident involving Gandalf and The Shadow. Upon entering the car, he loudly gave the driver grief when asked to wear a seatbelt while taking the seat in front of me. Seated behind him as I was, the AC proved that he was a stranger to general personal hygiene, as the air conditioning blew his considerable B.O. up my nose for the next 35 minutes. And I was the only one in the car wearing a mask. Many of the Russian drivers refuse to wear masks unless they see an incoming passenger wearing one, while the Orthodox who go to the dialysis center regularly attempt to do battle with Olena and the other nurse-techs and always lose, eventually giving in when threatened with expulsion if they do not mask up.(massive eyeroll)

Anyway, I am finally home and about to dig into some hummus and Wheat Thins.


No comments: